Saturday, January 8, 2011

We Get There When We Get There

Hey everybody!!!! Ok, so I promised a new blog update, and I’m so sorry it’s been like a billion years since I’ve written about what’s been going on here in Denmark. So! Just to make it up to y’all, the FIRST PERSON that can correctly tell me what movie my title is from will get something in the mail from me in Denmark. I just want to reward those of you that read my blog =) so no cheating. No googling the answer. You have to know the movie. And then I’ll announce the winner as soon as they’ve won =D I also can’t promise WHEN you’ll get it in the mail, because hey, I’m on a fixed income right now, but you’ll get it before I leave the country =P
So it’s been roughly 2-3 months since I wrote about things I’ve been doing in Denmark. Time to play catch up!!!! So please bear with me as I try to recap my life for you. I might, as I said before in an earlier post, just make a few new entries. So there isn’t just one ginormous story to read. Ok, so without further a due (no idea if I spelled that right, my English is suffering a lot) I give you my adventures =)
Back in the middle of October we had autumn break, efterårsferie. This was for a week. And it was great! During that week I didn’t do much. I had a party with the girls in my class. We went to this Italian restaurant and had dinner, and then we went back to one of the girl’s apartment and just relaxed with each other for an hour or so. That was nice to get to spend time with the girls in my class. We surprisingly don’t get to do that very often. So I hope we get to do it again soon =)
Also during that week, Stephanie (the girl from LA) and I went to a club in the city called The Crazy Daizy. See, normally you have to be 18+ to go to most clubs, but since this was in the break, it was a special day where 16+ could go. She and I had bought tickets to get in at school, and after waiting in line for about an hour in the freezing cold, we finally made it to the door. One thing, they were taking ID. Did Bekah think about bringing her ID? Nope! So I was seriously just freaking out that they wouldn’t even let me in because I didn’t have my card. I just walked up to the bouncer (A BEAST OF A MAN), gave him my ticket, and when he asked for ID I just calmly said in English, ‘I’m an American foreign exchange student and I don’t have any.’ Do you think he accepted that? YESSSSSSS! Haha that’s probably an abuse of being an exchange student on some level, but hey, he let us in the club. So I was happy. I was completely prepared to beg and cry, but I think it was the English. I’ve learned that to some extent, if you’re an English speaker you get a few perks along the way. =)
Like this other time steph and I were shopping and we stopped to get an ice cream. She walked up to the counter, stood there for a good 10 seconds like a deer caught in the headlights, then blurted out ‘DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?’ to the poor guy behind the counter. Of course he spoke English, so she just ordered her ice cream in English. So he was about to grab the cone for the kind we bought, the soft serve not the scoops, and she stopped him and said ‘Can..can I have THAT one?’ and pointed to a bigger cone used for scoops of ice cream. He said sure and gave it to her =P same price as a small one. Then he got to me and asked if I’d like the same. Um, OF COURSE! Haha so yes, I’ve learned that there are plenty of perks to speaking English in a jam. Sometimes I feel like I get treated better. And other times it’s almost as if I’m looked down upon. And other times it’s just plain frustrating to have a barrier. But it’s coming.
THAT! Was my fall vacation in a nutshell. after that, there have definitely been lots of other fun things! For Halloween, I had a rotary get together weekend with ALL the exchangies in Denmark. It was so fun. We were in Holbæk from Friday-Sunday, and it was pretty much a huge party every night =D dancing and music. It was so much fun. On Saturday we had a Halloween party where we all had to dress up. I was a fairy =D and an adorable one too! If I might add =P I bought the costume on Thursday at a children’s toy store. Yes people, it was a CHILDREN’S costume. But I fit into it, so in my book it’s ok. If it fits you, then it’s ok to wear children’s clothes once in awhile =P it was a great weekend. All of my friends were there (except for Stephanie because it was her birthday that weekend). I miss them all so much. We had a lot of fun. Then on Sunday we got ready to go home. Oh, wait, I forgot to mention, we were all delayed about an hour because of a minor detail: some idiot brought over 1,000 USD with them on the trip and some bigger idiot decided it would be great to steal it. -_- yes, there was thieving among the exchanchies. Which I personally think is just disgusting and horrible. But there are just bad people in the world everywhere I guess. Even as rotary exchange students. They eventually found the money. The person who took it tossed it in the men’s bathroom and that is where is was found. They never did catch the person though. Being threatened to have the police called on us all wasn’t enough motivation for the thief to come forward. A bunch of people just missed their trains and busses. That’s all. No biggie….people these days…

Um, for now, that’s all this entry is going to be about. I have to think about what happened in November =P so stay tuned, but it will be soon! Promise =D thanks for all of the support. Thanks for remembering me. I love you all.

Hugs and kisses,
Rebekah <3

No comments:

Post a Comment