Sunday, January 9, 2011

Merry Christmas ya filthy animal...and a Happy New Year

Guess where my latest title is from and I’ll send you something in the mail! =) what movie is this quote from. The first person to tell me wins. Thanks for playing, and read on!

December!!!!! Ok so we’ve finally reached it. The big month. The month I knew would be the hardest in my whole exchange. My 18th birthday and Christmas all rolled into one. Greattttttttt. Let’s get started!

So if you remember from my last post, I had gone to a basketball practice and was asked to play at a tournament in Copenhagen. We were a team of 7. We played 4 games. We lost all of them. But! We got to go shopping in the freezing cold afterwards. That somehow makes up for it, doesn’t it? Haha it was horrible. I remember why I quit basketball in the first place. I suck. Out of 4 games, I made 1 basket. But I did manage to get super physical and lost my temper once or twice. No biggie. -_- I’m convinced that these people don’t know how to actually play basketball. The fouls were flying. It was a mad house. But o well, we couldn’t help that. We tried. That’s all that matters I guess…I don’t really plan on going back to practice. I can’t play basketball for the life of me. Sorry if that disappoints anyone, but you’ll just have to deal with it. =)

On Friday, December 3, my class had a ‘Julefrokost’. It’s a Christmas dinner. So much fun! My whole class showed up besides one or two I think. It was just a great time. We all got to spend time together and talk and have fun being Danish. We ate some great traditional food, played a game with presents, and just partied it up. See, I wish our class could do things like that together more often. Inside the classroom there are some divisions, but everyone can work with everyone. Outside of the classroom we don’t all hang out together, but at a party together we all are like best friends. It’s great and I just would like to have more chances like that to have fun with my class. We will see ;) I left the julefrokost at about 2 I think? Then I pretty much passed out in bed, I was soooo tired. Then I had to wake up early the next morning because my Danish class was having its FINAL trip to the city together. So we all met up at Næstved train station at about 9 in the morning, but because of the snow, Bryan from New Zealand was running late. So we all just waited inside out of the wind and cold. And there was a completely off his rocker, drunk guy there. He started talking to our Danish teacher and then kind of talked to us. It was SOOOOO funny. O the things you can encounter in a train station at 9 in the morning after almost everyone in Denmark has a Christmas party =P when Bryan finally got there, we set out into the city, but we didn’t take the same long tour as the first time. It was freezing outside, so we walked past some of the sites, Majbritt said a few things, then we went downtown and got some hot chocolate or the like. It was good =) I love those people in class. So we ended up heading home at about 12. And as soon as I got home, I went in for a nap =P but there was no rest for the weary because I had to get up at 7.45 the next morning to attend a 5 km march for children. My rotary club loves me I think. Haha it was me, my host dad, and 2 other members that showed up. I took the initiative, which I think they appreciate. After the march we went to one of the member’s house and had some coffee and cake. It was nice. Then we headed home again =)

The rest of the week was pretty boring actually. On Monday night I went to my rotary’s Christmas dinner. It was nice. There were also about 16 swedish people that came. So it was super interesting to hear Swedish AND Danish being spoken. You can definitely hear the difference. Swedish, and Norwegian I must add, sounds a lot smoother, like melody almost. Whereas Danish is more definite. But all in all it was a good night. An old Swedish man sat next to me and he chatted away with me. He was quite the gentleman too, he held my chair out for me to sit in =D haha it was good.

Then! On Tuesday it was my 18th =D yes, I turned the big 1-8. I took some cake to school, they all sang to me, it was good. I still haven’t had my birthday party yet, but I hope to have it at the end of the month maybe. Not sure yet though. We had a nice family night. My host mom couldn’t be there, but my host dad and Maria and I went out to dinner at a little restaurant. It was nice. Danes don’t eat out that often at all, so it was a special occasion for me =) we didn’t do anything big on Tuesday, but on Wednesday we had my other 2 families come over and the rotary club president. It was nice. We had cake and coffee. (I’ve eaten SO MUCH STINKING CAKE in December. I’m surprised I’m not as big as a house) I got some really great presents from them all. And I’m very grateful. =) 2 new necklaces, some Christina Aguilera perfume, an ornament, a gift card for 500 kr. and a bracelet =D it was a great birthday night. O and something funny? We didn’t have enough candle holders, so I got to put 6 train cars on my cake! Hahah yes, I just turned 18, but I fought for those trains. =P

On Friday was my host mom’s birthday, and she had 3 friends over for cake and coffee. So.much.cake. yea I can’t tell you how much I ate this month. It was horrible. Because the next day, my next host sister was having HER 18th birthday family get together. Again, food, and coffee and cake. Wow. Luckily, there were no more birthdays that week. So I got a break! =P but on December 17th, school was let out for Christmas break, and what do you think I did for several of those days? Yea, I just sat around the house and ate. I’m actually scared to get on that scale in the bathroom. I just keep telling myself that my clothes still fit, so it’s ok. =) whatever helps me sleep at night, ya know.

The week after the break started, me and my host dad and my sister took a trip to Copenhagen to visit this museum full of ancient greek, roman, and Egyptian artifacts. It was so cool. I saw things that were over 2,000 years old. Crazy! And I saw a real live mummy!!!! Wait, ok, not the LIVE part, but a real mummy! Two of them actually =D it was soooooooo cool to see all of that stuff. After the museum maria and I went to shop and get some hot chocolate while her dad was visiting a friend. It was nice. A lot of fun. Freezing, yes, but a lot of fun haha
On the 18th my counselor took me to Copenhagen so we could see Tivoli lit up in Christmas lights and see all the Christmas displays. It was great. So beautiful. My counselor is one of the sweetest women in the world. She was an exchange student in the 60s, not with any organization, and she still talks with her family and goes on vacations with them. It’s so great. I would love to be like her when my exchange is over. I can see that happening to me.

Anyway, that is my December up until Christmas. I’m going to write all about Christmas and new years next. Wow, I had A LOT of writing to catch up on. But aren’t you happy to read this stuff again? O I know you are ;)

Hugs and kisses <3
Rebekah

1 comment: