Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's Like a Fairytale

I've had a very interesting weekend/past couple of days.

On Thursday, nothing really spectacular happened. I had volleyball like usual, but it wasn't a normal practice. The coach had another obligation with the school that night, so a bunch of us just fooled around and played a game. This was Stephanie's first practice, and another exchange student, Ruby's (New Zealand) 2nd or third practice.

On Friday, I got out of classes early, 11:25! And I was going over to Stephanie's house for the night, but she didn't get out until 1:30. I decided to make the time productive, so I walked to the library which is 2 minutes away from the bus stop. I got 6 new books. Yay me! The last 3 Harry Potter books (I have read the first few, then stopped, and now I don't want to be surprised when the new movie comes out), The Poisonwood Bible, a book with Edgar Allen Poe's writings, and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I honestly can't wait to finish these books because I have heard such great things about all of them! Ok. Then at 1:45 I headed over to the bus station to catch the bus to Steph's house. I met her on the same bus about 5 minutes later (she took a different stop) and then we were off together! That night we both just had a lot of fun hanging out, we always have fun just doing that. We watched an anime movie "Howl's moving castle" by the same artisit who did "spirited away" and I love the latter movie =)

And on Saturday, we had to wake up pretty early (8;00, o my goodness) because we had to be back into Næstved at 9 to meet up with our Danish class. This is why I stayed the night at her house, that way I had a ride into town that morning. Our class (only 3 of us ended up being able to go) took a tour with our Danish teacher around the city. Well, more through it than around it =P We walked all over the center part, and we learned some history about the city, and we saw some really great things. Like I have mentioned before, the ancient-ness of all of the things out here just warms my heart. I love it. We saw some old churches, but didn't get to go inside =( they were closed. We were just able to see a whole new side of the city. I found out that there is a Saturday market there, so now I want to come back into town on a weekend! And then, since we had about an hour before I had to leave to catch my bus, my Danish teacher drove us 3 in her car to the outside of town. And guess what we saw!!! A CASTLE! A REAL CASTLE! yea, it was pretty amazing. We rounded the corner in the car, and there it was. You could hear all of us girls just gasp as soon as it was visible. Breathtaking really. It's a yellow castle, and I found out that that is where the crown prince stayed with Mary (his now wife) when they got together. And I learned that there is a winter thing that happens there. I want to go!! haha and in the spring there is a huge thing with a bunch of tulips. People plant them like crazy on the grounds I guess and they start to bloom in the spring. It's supposed to be really beautiful...I can't wait to go! I hope I can =D =P It was a great day with my Danish class. Det var meget hyggligt =D (It was very...cozy/comfy/not sure) I can't wait to go back into the city and explore some more.

That's about all for this post, guys. I will be writing more about my weekend very soon. So stay tuned!!! =D

THINGS I'VE LEARNED SO FAR::
-use of the word 'toilet' and not bathroom. So if you come here, don't be offended when someone says to you "I need to go use the toilet"
-my butt no longer hurts from my bike =D actually, this isn't new news. it's like a month old =P
-There really aren't any suv's out here. all the cars are pretty much the same--small. but there are a few, don't be fooled.
-when you buy a car here, you actually pay for it about 3 times because of all the tax on it. So if it cost 100,000 kr, it would cost you about 300,00 kr
-when Danish students raise their hand in class, they always point one finger up, as if you say 'I have a point'??
-Næstved turned 875 years old this year =) one city is older than my entire country! haha

ok, that's all for now. MUCH LOVE! =D
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment