Sunday, August 1, 2010

In Denmark!

Hello everyone! I'm just checking in from the other side of the pond =)

I arrived in denmark on Saturday at about 1:30 pm this time and 4:30 pacific time. It was quite a long flight. Haha. I left portland with a fellow rotary exchange student, Brittney. This flight wasn't very long, but I managed to occupy myself with a movie =) the last song. Even though I do not like Miley Cyrus, this was a good movie and I almost cried several times. The only thing that held me back was the fact that I wasn't alone on the plane and the 17 yr old guy sitting next to me would think I was dumb. Haha

We arrived in Chicago at about 7:30 central time. We left Chicago at 10. Brittney and I were both starving so we grabbed some chow after finding taking the train and finding our gate a MILLION MILES AWAY! ha not really, but it felt that way with a mega weighted down book bag on. My shoulders still hurt =P Before leaving Chicago we also picked up a couple more rotary kids along the way. How did we know they were rotary kids you ask? We all had on our spiffy blue blazers!! =) so we started talking to some. I don't think we once told names. Just where we were from and which part of Denmark we were going to.

Sitting right across from me at the airport were 2 girls in their twenties. They were speaking, go figure, DANISH! I got a huge kick out of this. Eventually they started talking to us about the country and what not. Just talking. They were so nice! I met a two real Danes before even arrivng in the country!! Haha

on the plane i didn't sit by one exchange student. So i was kind of sad at first. But then the flight attendants brought out our dinner. It was soo cute! The portions and the little container and tray! I wasn't sad anymore =P however, the novelty of it all wore thin fast. I decided to watch a movie! Dear John was my pick this time around. This was also really good I thought. Not jusr because Channing Tatum is a sexy beast. Haha this movie also almost made me cry. But I held it back! =) after this movie I turnd on Alice in Wonderland but I only made it to the part where she grows and shrinks. Then I turned it off and tried to catch some sleep.

I didn't sleep much or very well at all, but at one point my seat neighbor had to wake me up because the flight attendants were going to serve food agian. We were almost to Copenhagen at this point. So I snarffed down my food, drank my mini OJ and skalded my tongue on some tea, but nothing could put me in a bad mood. The captain's voice over the speaker telling us we were almost there was like music. Even though he said everything completely in danish first and then English. Haha

I got my first view of Denmark then. Through the clouds I was able to spot it. My new home!!! I was soooo happy =D

My host dad and sister came to get me. We shared some awkwardness. But that's only to be expected for awhile I guess. They brought me about 45 minutes to my new home. It's beautiful and VERY modern. We live out in the country on a little piece of land. Some of you will get a kick out of this, but it looks just like and reminds me of Nebraska. Sooooo much! Maybe that's why I already feel at home =) i love it and it's gorgeous. I love bering able to see for miles almost. Stupid trees =P

I have 2 outside cats and 1 inside dog. I love them. They seem to be a great cure for awkward situations. When it's dead silent or you have nothing to do PET AN ANIMAL! haha and be best friends =) they are like my best friends right now. My dog, louis, looks just like my old dog Mollie Jean. It's all great and I am loving it.

For the past 2 days I have pretty much just been trying to hang with my family. Though there isn't much to do. Today my host dad fixed the bike I'll be riding to the bus stop for school ^_^ and then after that we took a trip about half hour into the nearest 'big' city Næstved. Then off to the beach we went! Now, Denmark is a lot more north than Newport, but the water is warm!! Crazy right? Haha then we had some ice cream and drove home.

And just now is when I got home from being with my host sister, Astrid, and her friends for a few hours. They had a BBQ. =P yes, they have those in Europe. I'm going to one tommorow for rotary too. It should be lots of fun =) I'm having such a great time already. School starts august 11. Shortest summer ever. Haha but I'm excited to meet new people! Anywayz, that's about it for this blog. Now for the fun stuff!

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR::

a knife is used for EVERY meal no matter what it is. by the way, you put your fork into the one you're about to eat, not the other one. Lol I learned this the hard way. I dropped my food a couple times =P
Europeans are crazy drivers yet they still manage to be better than most Americans =P
do NOT try the liver paste (actually, no, try it. I dare you)
sea gulls will fly nearly 30 km inland just to say hi to me =) haha not really. They come for the grass seed.
The plate MUST be completely empty of food when you're done eating (this is just what I have seen so far)
jet lag suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks
just because the Danes know English does NOT mean they will use it
the animals become your first and best friend (i'm just restating this one)

I think this is about it! I'm super tired, hence, jet lag sucks. =P email me with questions!!!!!

Love,
Rebekah

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a ton of fun Chika! I see you are already creating a lot of new memories. Do you think you can post some pictures? It sounds really pretty there. Miss you Chika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does "you put your fork in the one you're about to eat" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it means that you put your fork in the piece of food that you want to eat...like you don't cut it on the other side...it's hard to explain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! i know what you are talking about with the fork thing...and it's awkward!!! love you sis!

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're having a great time! Did you make friends with any of Astrids friends? Can't wait to talk to you again, love you!

    ReplyDelete