Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Exciting Times=New Friends

AGH! it feels like forever since I last wrote. So much has happened in just these few short days =D let me tell you!

Sooo where to start? Ok! I got it! On Tuesday of last week (yes this is old by now) my host sister had a friend over that night. His name is renè and we all kinda hung out for a few hours that night. Sooo much fun! We played some board games like the classic MEMORY game =D you remember, the one where you flip the cards to find the match. Ha yea we are 17&18 and this is what we do for fun =) but anywayz, I tell you this old story because he and I got along really well that night, and I new when I went to bed that night that I had made my first Danish friend! You can't imagine my excitement haha

ok, now we can jump forward to this last Saturday. If you recall in my last blog, I mentioned that my sister was throwing a party. But not til the evening. So that afternoon, Astrid René and I went to an outside swimming pool for a few hours. It was so cold haha I forgot what an outside pool I like. Newport has ruined me! =P

So after we decided we'd had enough 'fun' freezing our butts off, we decided that we were hungry. So! Off to McDonalds we went. (YES! THEY ARE TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!) it was really funny because they kept calling it 'MacDonalds' like with an accent and evrything. Haha it was great. So we ate (after they ordered for me of course) and I got a happy meal =D yea, you can't beat that.

Once we were done at 'MacDonalds', René dropped us off (yes he can drive!!!) and my host mom picked me and astrid up. Then, a couple hours later was the party. Astrid invited people that she went to a boarding school with and a few others that live near here. They all were very nice and spoke at least a little to me. It was lots of fun for the first 4 hours, but after the midnight marker, it all kinda goes down hill =P I started to get really tired, so I can't imagine I was much fun. But I managed to make another friend. Signe (see-nay) is a really cool girl. And she goes to my school. (her and rené were the only local people I think) At the party there was a lot of loud music (good thing we live in the country haha) and we ate some snacks and of course, there was some alcohol there. My mind is still in the American mode when it comes to this. Like, parents are contributing to the delinquency of minors and destributing to minors and things like that. This stuff still crosses my mind a lot, but I have to keep telling myself that it's all legal here. I'll probably get used to it...so anywayz! At about 1:30 I headed inside to do something and then I was kind of followed by rené and signe. We just went back to my room and chilled for the next couple of hours. Then at like 4 I finally was able to sleep =)

On Sunday, astrid and I were very tired from the night before. But we managed to make it. (with a nap) and I got to experience Danish pancakes for a snack! It was great =D they are thinner than American ones, but not like crepes. And you can put sugar, jam, or syrup on it and then you roll it up! I also found out this is ok to eat with your hands. Haha messy, but they were VERY good.

Not much else has happened On Monday or tuesday. I started reading the da Vinci code. Really good so far =) and today! Today was my first day of school =) yes, I was absolutely terrified at first. I didn't have to be there until 9:30 because I'm a second year student, so my host mom dropped me on her way to work. About 40 minutes early. Haha so I wandered around a bit. Then as I was coming up the stairs, guess who I saw!!!! Another exchange student!!! (I'd met them all the night before) I instantly felt better and her and I walked and talked until we met as a group. Her name is Stephanie and she's from LA. Close to Oregon! Hana

school was a little scary at first, but people started to talk to me and this made me really happy and relaxed. The same questions popped up all day though. "why did you pick Denmark" "do you want to learn Danish" "how long have you been here" and so on. I'm not joking either. Same questions all day haha. They got easier to answer though. "it sounded like a great country, I love it here" "of course I want to learn, I'm trying to" "I've been here 2 weeks". Haha it was good. I didn't mind what people said to me actually. It was just that they talked to me. Yes, I'm playing the foreign card. I like it =D ^_^

So, I should tell you about the school. It's huge. 1200 students about. It's called a gymnasium. And o, one minor detail, the schedule changes everyday. =) yea, no biggie haha o, not only does the schedule change, but the classroom is never the same either. I think they like to keep us on our toes? I have no idea. But it's kind of easy. I'm in class 'r'. And I stay with that class (as in people) almost all day. (changes for language classes) so I'll be able to jus follow them around to look for a class and we will all get to know each other soon which is great!

After school instead of taking the bus home, rené picked me up and took me to his house where we hung out. Ate. Drank some soda. Candy!! And 'Friends' and 'Americas next top model' were on tv. (he loves antm too! This is why we are best friends now haha) so this was a great time. Then he took me home while he was on his way to swim at the pool. Haha it's funny, because it's freezing today. Worse than last time =P

All in all, this has been a great day and week =D I'm loving Denmark more and more everyday. Here is my last bit to say.

THINGS IVE LEARNED SO FAR::
I've never seen so many people smoking in my entire life than I have here
they eat pizza here! (homemade of course)
you can eat birds, pizza, and pancakes with your hands and don't need to use a fork and knife
exchange students have like magnets in themselves. We are drawn together and have an instant connection
they don't have skittles here!!!!!!
My counselor is probably the sweetest woman ever. (even though I only met her once)
(a quote from someone at the party) "you know you can always get the truth from small children and drunk people"
^^ I'm not sure I agree with that... Because drunken outburtsts are never necessarily sober thoughts
math is indeed the same in every language...but the explanation as to HOW to complete the problem is not. Haha thank goodness I knew what we were doing =P

I think that's about it! Ha you know what sucks? I think of all this great stuff to put in my blog at the end here all the time, like in car rides and stuff, and when I come to write it I can never remember!!!!!!! =( haha so just ask me questions ok people! Love you all =D

<3 Rebekah

4 comments:

  1. O EVERYONE!!! I want to add pics soon, but I'm still workin on it. Please add me in facebook if you would like to see all my pics from Denmark and stay updated to what I'm up to =)

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like lots of fun! But it's weird you already started school and we still have another month... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally am with Emily on that one. And the whole one class several classrooms thing would confuse the heck outta me! lol.
    Glad to see you've made a good friend in Rene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha good thing im not writing thidd it would be like ten words

    ReplyDelete