Monday, September 27, 2010

Things sure are...different

So! Since my last post was insanely long, I decided to post 2 entries. One about my time and one about new and interesting and different and WEIRD things. haha here you go =)

THINGS I'VE LEARNED SO FAR::
-Denmark is the only country that doesn't have a 'B' note, but it has an 'H' I guess. Mind fully blown. So much for music being an international language. This was like telling me 2+2=5 here..makes absolutely no sense.
-There are spiders everywhere here! And big ones. With huge webs. And literally EVERYWHERE. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
-People can park on the wrong side of the street here..In fact, if there is no designated parking spot, people just park half on the sidewalk.
-Canada has a lot of the same systems as us in the US: the oulets, using feet and inches to measure height...so ha! take that Europe! haha we aren't the only ones that do it this way =D
-I figured out which era the Danish fashion reminds me of! The '90s, most definitely. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time, but indeed. We are talking shoulder pads, pants up high on the waist line for girls, wedge shoes, one piece suits...yea, the whole nine yards =P
-The busses do not always run on time, and the next bus WILL leave you behind.
-My Danish teacher said that some drunk Viking must have thuoght up the Danish language, cuz it's just that crazy haha
-The notebook paper for school has 4 holes, not 3. Why they need an extra hole? I have no idea.
-Some words in the Danish language cannot be translated. EX: hyggligt (hue-gah-lee) everything is hyggligt. It's like saying comfy or cozy, but there is really no way to tranlsate this word..IT'S EVERYTHING! haha
-Speaking English to some people shocks them at first..but speaking Danish to a classmate is almost more shocking.
-If you're done eating, put the knife and fork on teh same side of the plate, otherwise you're still hungry..yes, it took me a good 2 weeks to figure this one out. "Why are they still giving me food?!" yea, that's why...
-Black is a major staple in most people's wardrobe.
-The music is old here. Old as in, they are just now getting things on the radio that we had months ago.
-Chucks/All stars/Converse are very popular. Go US =D
-A lot of people are caffeine addicts. Coffee and tea all the time. Sometimes they drink 3 cups of coffee at 8-9-10 at night. It's usually black, no cream or sugar. And it's ALWAYS scalding hot. I don't know how they drink it that way, but they do.
-People play hacky sack here! Haha this gave me a kick
-The water is completely clean no matter where you go. Straight from the tap is how they drink it. And I also blame the water for a few things: making my hair grow super fast, making a lot more hair fall out, making the Danish people so tall! It's gotta be the water, guys. It's gotta haha
-A Dane can out-eat an American any day. Seriously, they eat A LOT. I saw this little 11 year old eat 3 plates full one time.
-Sometimes they eat really slow and sometimes you blink and the food is gone. They tend to talk a lot during mealtime, so this could explain it.
-A 'typical' Danish boy might come off as gay. They dress well, smell nice, are very free and open with other guys, and their mannerisms are very feminine. Don't be fooled hahaha they are about 95% of the time straight.
-When in a place like a store or postoffice, people are generally very willing to help if you ask. Like I said earlier, they are kind of taken aback by the English at first, but they help with a good attitude =) very nice people

THE LANGUAGE BARRIER::
I think I should updat y'all on how my Danish is going. Det går ok. It's going ok. Pretty much. Haha I am learning more everyday, but it's just not enough. I have danish lessons after school on Mondays for a few hours. Right now, I'm in that place where I can understand if they speak slowly and give me a few seconds to translate, but that's not what most people let me do. When I'm in a group of people and they start speaking Danish I can usually pick out words and figure out what they're talking about. But somedays, my brain gets so tired that I quit. I haven't gotten my first dream in Danish yet, but everyone says it should be coming any week now ^_^ I have started to think in Danish though. Not fluently by any means, don't get all excited. But sometimes I'll just be sitting in class and I'll just start saying Danish sentances in my head. The only problem with this is that when someone asks me a question, I can only off the top of my was give them a bare minimum answer. But if I can think about it, I can say so much more in my head. It's frustrating cuz it jusr won't come out. Haha Also, an interesing fact, my English is starting to suck. Majorly. My vocabulary is shrinking rapidly. My grammar is getting bad. Sometimes I hve to ask my friends what the word I'm looking for is. Yea, that doesn't help when they don't know the word either. =P so, my English is going bad really fast, but my Danish is getting better super slowly. I wonder if I wot be able to speak at all during this year ^_^ o, one more thing, "tell us what you know in Danish!" is a horrible thing to get asked. Because now, I know more than my name, but I can't translate a sentence for you if it's too big. So pulling a good Danish sentence out of my head is tricky. It takes a minute or two. O! And when I read, I can read almost everything now. Ok, not everything, but I can read a lot an understand it. It's because I can think about it more and read the context...I think that's about all for language ^_^ it's coming. But it's just gunna take some time. More time.

That's all for now! =D I hope you are learning a lot from these blogs. I wish you could experience it for yourself, but since you can't, I hope you find this insightful. =) until next time! <3

Rebekah~~~~ jeg elsker jer. Og, jeg savner jer. Jeg skal ser jer snart! (I love you all, and I miss you all. I shall see you all soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment